Despite its simplicity, anyone who works with SQL knows that queries can get quite complex.
When faced with a complex SQL query, you can:
- Take time to manually dissect the statement,
- Ask a colleague on the data team to explain the query’s purpose,
- Turn to Google for help, or;
- Paste the query into Data Sidekick for an instant, plain English description of the query.
That last option sounds like the best one, no? Read on to learn how it works.
Use artificial intelligence to understand complex SQL queries
Data Sidekick combines the power of AI with context from your data warehouse to automate a variety of common data tasks.
It’s powered by a series of AI-assisted data apps, including Query Explainer, which reads a SQL statement and instantly writes a straightforward description of what the query does and how it’s used.
In addition to explaining SQL queries, you can also use Sidekick’s collection of AI-powered data apps to:
- Suggest questions a specific database table can answer 🧐
- Convert natural language to SQL like magic 🪄
- Auto document table schemas ✍️
- Optimize queries to improve speed and trim your warehouse bill 💸
… and a whole lot more (we're always working on new AI data apps!)
The best part? Sidekick is 100% free for individual users. You don’t even need a credit card to sign up – jump in and give your SQL powers an immediate boost.
See Data Sidekick in action
Curious about how Sidekick performs in real life? See how Matt Hammel, COO and co-founder at AirOps, uses SQL Query Explainer to understand complex queries. ⬇